A to Z
Pollution Control - Asbestos - WCC: Outline
Asbestos materials must be removed and disposed of in the correct manner, the best way to do this is to use a licensed contractor. On no account should you remove asbestos coatings yourself.
If you wish to remove asbestos cement sheeting from your garage roof, you should follow the advice given below. This advice is to help minimise the risk involved in the removal of small quantities of asbestos material and is not intended to be relied on as providing a safe system of work, therefore, the Council accepts no liability for any loss or damages caused.
Please note that Warwickshire County Council will only accept no more than 3 pieces of asbestos from householders and that bagged waste should not exceed the dimensions of skip openings (see below). If you have larger quantities please contact the Waste Management Team for advice.
- Plan the work so that the asbestos material is handled as little as possible, in order to minimise the release of fibres.
- Wear a suitable respirator (filtering face piece FFP3 device), head covering, protective over-clothing and gloves.
- Damp down the asbestos material thoroughly before disturbing it.
- Do not break up the cement sheeting. Do not use power tools. Do not break, drill, sand or scrub the asbestos materials.
- If dust is produced, ensure it is wet then sweep it up. Do not vacuum the dust as this may spread the asbestos dust around your house.
- Double wrap the asbestos in heavy duty polythene sheets and label the outer bag as containing asbestos waste. Seal the bags.
- Any contaminated clothing should also be bagged up, labelled, sealed, then disposed of as asbestos waste.
- Take precautions to avoid bringing asbestos fibres into the house e.g. coming indoors with contaminated clothing.
- Take the bagged asbestos waste to one of the three licensed sites in Warwickshire. These sites are: Princes Drive, Hunters Lane, or Judkins. Please note: the asbestos skip at Princes Drive has a letter box opening, which is 8 inches high and 80 inches (approx 6ft) long - all waste must fit through this opening.
For a list of registered asbestos disposal companies in your area, please visit the Netregs Waste Directory
For specialist advice on asbestos contact the Heath and Safety Executive on 08701 545500.