Sorry! Due to essential maintenance the Memorial Hall will be closed from Thursday 23rd to Sunday 26th May inclusive. There will not be any access to the Studio, and Spin classes on Friday & Sunday.
All About Benefits
Second Adult Rebate
Second Adult Rebate is help with your Council Tax bill if you do not have a partner, or your partner is not counted for Council Tax purposes. There must be other adults classed as non-dependants, aged over 18, living with you that prevent you from receiving a Single Person Discount. Also, you must be of State Pension Credit age.
Can I claim a second adult rebate?
If you are of State Pension Credit age (please ask us if you are not sure) AND other people who share your home are:
- aged over 18
- not your partner
- not paying you rent as a boarder or sub tenant
- not liable to pay Council Tax themselves
- not a joint owner
then you may be eligible to claim Second Adult Rebate.
Second Adult Rebate is based on the circumstances and income of people who share your home. Your income and savings will not have been taken into account when calculating a Second Adult Rebate. If you are entitled to Council Tax Support and Second Adult Rebate we will pay the one which gives you the most money. This is called a better buy calculation.
How much will I get?
After the weekly income of the second adult has been calculated, you can receive up to a 25% reduction off your Council Tax bill.
How do I claim?
- To claim Second Adult Rebate you will need to complete a claim form and provide proof of the second adult's income.
- Your claim will normally start on the Monday following the date your application form is received by the Benefits Section, although there are exceptions depending on the reasons why you could not claim earlier.
- Please remember to answer all the questions and make sure that you sign the declaration on the form.
- Claim forms that are not signed or fully completed may be returned to you for completion, which could delay your claim.
Please Note: Second Adult Rebate is not payable if you receive rent from a boarder, tenant or sub-tenant.
Pages in All About Benefits
- Applying for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support
- Local Housing Allowance
- How much Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support will I get?
- Who is Unable to Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support?
- Benefit On Two Homes
- How Long Will It Take To Process My Claim?
- Disputing Benefit Decisions
- Backdating Benefit
- You are here: Second Adult Rebate
- Discretionary Housing Payments
- Benefit Overpayments
- What Happens To Your Benefits If You Are Away From Home?
- Information for Landlords
- Benefit Fraud
- Council Tax Discounts, Reductions and Exemptions
- Benefits Contact Details
- Benefits - useful links
- Supporting Evidence Checklist
- Housing benefit reductions for spare bedrooms (Under Occupancy)