Energy bills rebate
Energy bill - £150 Council Tax rebate
The Chancellor announced a Council Tax rebate in England of £150 for all properties in Bands A to D.
This payment is separate to your Council Tax, and the government are simply using the existing Council Tax database to process the rebate and identify those households who qualify.
There are two schemes available, the Main Scheme, known as the Energy Rebate and the Discretionary Scheme, known as the Discretionary Rebate Scheme.
For those who need help with their energy bills but are not eligible for the Energy Rebate scheme – such as households on a low income in higher bands (E to H) or with properties in bands A to D that are exempt from council tax – local authorities will receive £144 million of discretionary funding to help.
We will publish the details of North Warwickshire Discretionary Rebate Scheme shortly.
There is no need to contact us if you are a ratepayer who is paying their Council Tax by direct debit, as we will contact you if needed.
If you live in in a property in Council Tax Bands A to D, you should receive a one-off Energy Rebate payment of £150, as long as the criteria below is satisfied:
- You were resident on the 1st April 2022
- The property is someone’s sole residence
- This included accounts receiving the disabled relief
- The property is not a property that the Local Authority is liable to pay Council Tax
- It is a chargeable dwelling or included in brief the following classes:
- N - Student accommodation
- S - Under 18’s
- U - SMI
- W - an occupied annex
The Energy Rebate will not have to be repaid
How will the payment be made?
The quickest way to receive your £150 Energy Bills Rebate is if you pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit.
We expect most people who pay by Direct Debit to receive this money automatically into bank accounts.
If you would like to sign up to pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit and receive your payment automatically, you can do so by signing in to NWBC Accounts online portal. Here you will also be able to view your council tax account details, view bills electronically and change your payment method to Direct Debit. (You should expect to receive your energy rebate payment within 10 days of your 1st payment being taken).
Alternatively please click here to Set up a Direct Debit online
We are looking to award payments to property bands A to D as a priority, starting as below:
- For accounts that have paid their Direct Debit on the 1st April (Monthly) and the 5th April (weekly), payments can be expected to be received between the 20th April and 22nd April 2022
- For accounts that have paid their Direct Debits by weekly instalment after the 1st April, payments can be expected to be received from week commencing the 2 May 2022
- For accounts that pay their first Direct Debit payment on dates from the 15th April onwards, payments can be expected within 8 to 10 working days following receipt of the Direct Debit payment
- For any accounts where their Direct Debit request has been unsuccessful, this includes where the name on the bank account does not match the liable party. This payment will be delayed as further checks will need to be undertaken and we will make payment following completion of checks
Once all payments have been made to those accounts with Direct Debits, we will contact all other account holders either by email, SMS or by a letter with details of how you can make an application. You should expect to start receiving these details by the end of May 2022.
The closing date for the £150 Energy Rebate Payments will be the 30th September 2022
Please see the Energy Rebate FAQ's for more information.
Last updated Wednesday, 27th April 2022