You are here:

Energy bills rebate

Energy Rebate FAQ's

FAQ’s – Council Tax Rebate

A you may have heard in the news, the Government have announced a package of support called the ‘Energy Bills Rebate’ to help households with their rising energy costs during the 2022/23 period.

The Energy Bills Rebate includes:

  • A £150 rebate for households in England in property Bands A to D
  • A discretionary fund to help those households in property Bands E to H

We have provided some questions and answers to help you understand the ‘Energy Bills Rebate’ schemes and how the council will be dealing with them.

£150 Rebate for Bands A to D

How do I know which ‘Band’ my property is in?

How will I know if I’m entitled to the rebate?

For every household that occupies a property, and which meets all the eligibility criteria below, a payment will automatically be made to any current and any new, direct debit customers as soon as practicable after 1st April 2022. A one-off payment of £150 will be paid to the liable Council Tax payer.

Eligibility Criteria

  • You must be liable to pay Council Tax at the property on or before 1st April 2022
  • Your property is valued in council tax bands A – D. This includes property that is valued in band E but has an alternative valuation band of band D, as a result of the disabled band reduction scheme;
  • It is someone’s sole or main residence;
  • It is a chargeable dwelling, or in the following exemption classes
    • Class N – a dwelling occupied entirely by students
    • Class S – a dwelling occupied wholly by persons under the age of 18
    • Class U – a dwelling occupied wholly by persons who are severely mentally impaired
    • Class W – an annex flat or similar self-contained property occupied by a dependent relative of a person living in the main part of the building; and
  • The person who is liable to pay council tax (or would be, were the property not exempt) is not a local authority, corporate body or other body such as a housing association, the government or government body.

How will the rebate be paid to me?

The quickest way to receive your £150 energy bills rebate is if you pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit. We will start to make these payments at the end of April 2022.

For people who pay council tax by direct debit, in most cases, the rebate will go directly into bank accounts. If you don’t already pay by direct debit, you might
want to sign up. This will make sure the rebate is paid to you quickly.  You can sign up to pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit by using the “Change your Payment method” quick link on the NWBC Accounts Online.

For households in property Bands A to D, who do not pay by Direct Debit, more information about how you can claim your payment will be detailed on this page soon.

If you do not pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit, you'll still receive an energy bills rebate, but it may take longer. You will be contacted directly with details about how to claim your payment.

The £150 Energy Bills Rebate Payments will be made by 30th September 2022

This table shows how the rebate will be paid depending on your circumstances.

How do you pay your Council Tax?

How will the rebate be paid to me?

Direct Debit

The rebate will be paid by bank transfer into your bank account. You do not need to do anything

Payment by any other method, eg; debit card, cash, BACS transferor standing order

We cannot pay the rebate by cash or cheque payments.


You will need to open a bank account if you don’t have one already or you will need to provide your bank account details when we open the application process.

NB: The date for application is yet to be confirmed, so please watch our website for more details.

What if I have an overdraft?

If you have an overdraft, the £150 rebate cannot be used by the bank towards clearing your overdraft. This rebate is for you to earmark for essential bills, ie your energy bills, and therefore you have the right to choose how the money into your account can be used. This is called the ‘First Right of Appropriation’. There is more information on the council’s website so please follow the link 

First Right of Appropriation | Housing benefits | Nuneaton & Bedworth (

How long will it take before the rebate is paid?

Priority will be given to people who pay their Council Tax by Direct Debit. We will start to make the rebate payments to these people from April 2022. If you want to set up a Direct Debit payment for your Council Tax, and you have access to the Open Portal, you can now set up a Direct Debit through the ‘change payment method’.

If you do not have access to the Open Portal, but would like to set up a Direct Debit, please contact us immediately on 01827 715341.

For people that pay their Council Tax by any other method, eg debit card, cash, BACS transfer, or by Standing Order, you will need to provide your bank details once we open up the application process. Please keep watching our website for details of when this process will be open and how you can make an application.  

If you do not have a bank account, then you will need to open one before we can make the rebate payment to you. Please visit  Top Basic Bank Accounts: Bad credit option, no fees - MSE (  for more information about which account would be best for you.

Will I have to pay the money back?

No, you will not have to pay the money back. It is not a loan.

The Discretionary fund – Bands E to H

We will provide details of the fund and how it will be distributed in due course. Unfortunately, we do not have all the details to be able to share with you at this time.

Last updated Wednesday, 25th May 2022

Was this information useful?

You said, we did