Working at elections
Working at the election - FAQ's
Letting us know what work you want to do
How do you choose who works where?
- Once staff have told us they're available, we'll allocate on a first-come, first-served basis. If staff have expressed a preference for a particular role, or to work with certain colleagues, we will try to take that into account. For some particular roles, allocations will be made based on previous experience and performance. (However, the needs of the overall election will take preference and we will allocate staff where we need them to run the election).
I've not worked at elections before, what do I tick?
- Read your availability letter, it explains what roles are available and has links to the website for more info. Then tick the roles you're interested in doing and add any notes.
I want to work in a certain location or with a certain person
- This will limit where/if we're able to allocate you, however if you want to work in a particular area or with certain colleagues you should write this in the notes field when asked for your availability. We cannot guarantee any person's preferences.
I haven't been offered the role I wanted - can I swap or change?
- No - if the role isn't suitable for you, you should decline the job and write in the notes any messages about why you're declining.
I'm working at a polling station but haven't had contact from other staff there?
- The phone numbers for the other staff are in the letter we sent you on the portal. You should call the Poll clerks/Presiding officer to find out more about the venue, parking etc. If after several phone calls/email attempts you haven't had an answer, you should email us firstname.lastname@example.org
Creating your staff MEA account - once you're signed up
The portal is saying I have an invalid postcode
You should email us at email@example.com , confirming what your current postcode is - our information might be out of date.
I've tried to create an account but I'm getting an error message
- Make sure you're using your email address as your username and postcode to sign up. If you're having issues, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a screenshot of the error and a description of what you're trying to do.
I can't get into the portal, can I just email you want role I want to do?
- No - all staff will need to use the portal to let us know their availability and accept any job offers. Contact us if you have issues logging into your account.
I've forgotten my username/password
- Your username is the email address we contacted you on. There is a forgotten password facility to recover your password.
I've changed my email address
- If possible we encourage you to keep your email address the same. If this isn't possible you should email email@example.com and we'll re-create your account.
Last updated Wednesday, 21st September 2022