You are here:

Help with money and debt

Benefits - rent

Paying  Rent

If you are having difficulty with paying your Rent (Council Tenants ONLY)

If you are having a problem with your rent you should contact NWBC to discuss your options. The council will always try to help tenants who are having difficulty, for example by:

  • helping you to check that you are claiming all of the benefits that you are entitled to
  • telling you where you can get help with budgeting and managing your money
  • reaching an agreement so that you can pay back any rent arrears that may have built up over time, at a rate that you can afford

If you wish to discuss your rent with us in confidence, please contact the council by telephone 01827 715341 or email 
Help with rent arrears and problems with paying your Rent (Private Tenants)

Your landlord can evict you if you fall behind with your rent - you could lose your home. If you cannot pay your rent, don’t ignore the problem. Talk to your landlord as soon as possible. Whether the problem is caused by a change in circumstances, a budgeting difficulty or a cut in benefits, you can take some important steps yourself to help you get back in control and avoid eviction. 

  • Talk to your landlord
  • Identify the problem and work out a plan and budget
  • Boost  your income through maximising your benefits
  • Get FREE help and advice from the following:

Citizens Advice Bureau –    
Shelter –
Money Helper –

Last updated Wednesday, 3rd May 2023

Was this information useful?

You said, we did