You are here:

Self, Custom Build and Brownfield Land Register

Brownfield Land Register

North Warwickshire Borough Council are legally required to, in accordance with regulation 3 of the Town and Country Planning (Brownfield Land Register) Regulations 2017, prepare and maintain a register of previously developed land that is deemed to be suitable, as well as available and achievable, for residential development.

The Borough Council has used its Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment (SHLAA) 2016 to help identify and assess all the brownfield sites in the Borough.  Brownfield sites with extant planning consent, that meet the relevant criteria, have also been included on the register, as well as a handful of sites with expired planning permission.

The register itself is kept in two parts. Part 1 comprises all brownfield sites that the Council deems to be previously developed land, and is considered to be suitable, available and achievable for residential development.  All sites must meet the following criteria:

  • A minimum of 0.25 hectares or be capable of accommodating at least 5 dwellings
  • Suitable for residential development, having regard to site allocations, existing planning consent alongside any adverse impacts on the natural environment, built environment and residential amenity
  • Available by the relevant landowner(s) expressing an intention to sell or develop the site
  • Achievable, meaning development is likely to take place within the next 15 years

In addition to the above criteria, the authority must also have regard to the development plan, the National Planning Policy Framework and associated Planning Practice Guidance, as well as any guidance issued by the Secretary of State. At this stage, no sites have been entered onto part 2 of the register.

The associated planning practice guidance states that authorities are required to review the Brownfield Register at least once a year, ensuring any appropriate new sites are included, and those which no longer meet the relevant criteria are removed. 

Further information on the Brownfield Land Register can be found on the National Planning Practice Guidance website, which is available to view at:

What is Previously Developed Land?

Brownfield land is also known as Previously Developed Land and is defined by the Government in Annex 2 of the National Planning Policy Framework as:

Land which is or was occupied by a permanent structure, including the curtilage of the developed land (although it should not be assumed that the whole of the curtilage should be developed) and any associated fixed surface infrastructure. This excludes: land that is or has been occupied by agricultural or forestry buildings; land that has been developed for minerals extraction or waste disposal by landfill purposes where provision for restoration has been made through development control procedures; land in built-up areas such as private residential gardens, parks, recreation grounds and allotments; and land that was previously-developed but where the remains of the permanent structure or fixed surface structure have blended into the landscape in the process of time.

Contact details

For any queries relating to the Brownfield Land Register, the planning policy department can be contacted via email at, or by telephone on 01827 715341

North Warwickshire Borough Council’s assessment of the level of demand for self-build and custom build housing development in the area indicates a fairly limited current requirement. The Register currently has 15 entries, all from individuals with no groups or co-operative associations.

Self/Custom Build

A copy of the current Self Build and Custom Build Register is available to view

Self and custom build have been defined as:

  • Self-build - projects where individuals or groups directly organise the design and construction of their new home(s)
  • Custom build – project where individuals or groups work with a specialist developer to help deliver their new home(s)

If you are interested in the idea of building your own home, the council is asking you to take part in this process, which will help it to develop housing and planning policies to support the kind of self and custom build projects that would be most appropriate for this area.

We intend to create a register of those people interested in self or custom build homes in accordance with the requirements of the Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015.

General information:

  • At this stage, you are not making any commitment – the council is just trying to find out how much local demand there is for self-build housing
  • In preparing this register, the council are making no commitment to provide self-build or custom build plots
  • In submitting this form, you are agreeing that the council can use the data you provide to understand the demand for custom build and self-build housing
  • Personal details included on the register will not be made public, but anonymised headline data extracted from it may be published (i.e. overall numbers of registered entries for various categories, geographical areas of interest, types of housing sought etc.)
  • If you do not want your personal contact details held on the register, please indicate this on the form below. The council will not continue to contact you about self and custom build issues – in this case, should you remain interested in self- and custom build, please visit the council’s website periodically to check for further developments or information
  • Your remaining information as submitted will be used by the council for strategic planning, information and statistical purposes only.

Registration of Interest Form

The Form for registration of interest is available to download.

Please e-mail this form in the first instance to:

Or print off and send to: Forward Planning, The Council House, South Street, Atherstone, Warwickshire, CV9 1DE

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) exemptions

There are certain exemptions from the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) for self and custom build projects. Details of these can be found on the government's Planning Portal. Should you wish to claim these exemptions, you will need to complete a declaration, subject to any further guidance/legislation the government may issue, as set out on this online form.

Link to national planning guidance paragraph 135 – exemption to CIL payments

Last updated Monday, 12th February 2018

Last updated Monday, 14th August 2023

Was this information useful?

You said, we did