You are here:

Heritage and Conservation

Seeking a Listing Designation for a building or structure

Nunnery Gateway Polesworth

The Council does not make decisions about whether buildings should be listed. The 'List' of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest is a National Register, compiled by Historic England (formerly English Heritage). Any suggestions for the listing of buildings, or amendments to existing listings, should be made directly to Historic England.

Further general advice can be found here, as well as a frequently asked questions.

Who do I seek expert advice from?

Local or national groups with an interest in buildings may be able to help you 'fill in' the gaps in your knowledge. A letter of support from them could very much increase your chances of getting the building listed.

National bodies in this field are:

  • The Ancient Monuments Society is concerned with historic buildings of all ages and types, but with a particular interest in demolition cases, new design in the context of historic buildings and church matters
  • The Council for British Archaeology is concerned with all historic buildings but with a particular interest in the archaeology of subterranean and standing structures
  • The Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings is concerned mainly with structures constructed before 1714, but also with the philosophical and technical aspects of conservation
  • The Heritage Help (former Georgian Society) is concerned with architecture and architecture related-arts between 1700 and 1837
  • The Victorian Society is concerned with Victorian and Edwardian architecture and architecture-related arts between 1837 and 1914
  • The Twentieth Century Society (formerly the Thirties Society) is concerned with architecture of the twentieth century, in all decades except the first
  • SAVE Britain's Heritage

Local bodies and groups can also assist:

Further action to take

  • Identify any threat to the building: if you are becoming aware that the building is becoming increasingly derelict, or if you know of any plans/proposals either to make drastic alterations to it; or to demolish it, you should include this information
  • Take photographs: take photographs (using as skilled a photographer as possible) of the outside and the inside of the building. Include both general views and close-ups of interesting details
  • Provide a plan: mark the precise position of the building and the boundary of its site on an Ordnance Survey map (1:1250 if possible)  when you have assembled the information outlined above, apply to English Heritage, with your supporting information.
  • Nominate the Heritage Asset

You can contact Historic England at

Last updated Thursday, 1st October 2020

Was this information useful?

You said, we did