You are here:

Council tax FAQ's

Annual billing FAQ's

Explanatory notes Regarding your Council Tax Bill

I receive Council Tax Support but have received a bill - is this a mistake?

No. From 1 April 2013 the government replaced Council Tax Benefit with a local Council Tax Support scheme and cut funding by 10 percent. The Council has only passed on 8.5% of this cut which is why you are receiving a bill and now have an amount to pay.

My second home bill is 100 percent - is this right?

Yes, from 1 April 2013 domestic properties that are furnished but are no-one's main residence such as second homes will pay 100% council tax

Why am I being charged 150 percent for my empty property?

From 1 April 2013, properties that are unoccupied and unfurnished and are no longer subject to a council tax exemption (known as long term empty properties) will be charged 150 percent after remaining empty for two years. This charge is based on the property and will come into effect after two years even if you haven't owned the property for that long.

Why have these changes to discounts and exemptions been made?

To help offset the impact of the required council tax benefit cut being introduced from April 2013 as well as being in line with the Council's stated policy of encouraging empty homes to be brought into use as quickly as possible and also to more closely reflect the true cost of providing services to empty properties.

Under what powers have these changes been made?

The Local Government Finance Act 2012 gave Councils new discretionary powers to raise additional income by reducing the level of council tax exemptions on certain types of empty dwellings. The Council met on 17 January 2013 to endorse these changes.

I want help with bringing my empty homes back into use - what can I do?

If you need help in bringing your empty property back into use please contact our Empty Homes Project Officer using the contact details below.

My bill includes an amount brought forward that I've either paid or don't owe?

Because we have to print, envelope and despatch nearly 30,000 council tax and business rate bills, our records were closed down as at 21 February 2018 so any payment or change to your account won't show on your bill but it will be reflected on your account. By signing up to our Self Service facility you can check your account at any time.

My local parish council has increased their charge -why?

Parish councils are independent of North Warwickshire Borough Council, therefore, you should approach them directly.

Can I pay my bill over twelve months?

Yes, if we receive your written request we will spread your bill over the remaining monthly instalments.

Council tax contact details can be found below.

When do I have to pay my council tax?

You can pay by 10 or 12 monthly instalments. Instalments are due on the 1st of each month (unless you are paying by Direct debit). If you wish to pay by 12 monthly instalments please contact the Billing Team - see below.

Can I pay by Direct debit?

Yes – this is the recommended and preferred payment method – phone number below to arrange. We can set up your direct debit over the phone.

When are Direct Debits taken from my account?

You can select your preferred payment date from 1st of each month, 5th of each month,15th of each month, 25th of each month orweekly on a Friday.

Can I pay by debit card over the phone?

Yes – if you have a debit card you can pay your council tax 24 hours a day 7 days per week via a dedicated payment line phone, see below.

What payment cards do you accept?

Visit our Payment Cards Accepted page

Can I pay online for my Council Tax?

Yes, on our Council Tax Payments page

What if I live alone – do I get a discount?

Yes – if you are the only adult living in your home, you may be entitled to a 25% single persons discount.

What if I am on a low income or unemployed?

All working age households will now be expected to pay 8.5% of the amount due before any council tax support is calculated.However, pensioners may be eligible for a full discount.

Other exemptions and discounts available 

What if my circumstances change?

You should always notify the Revenues Section immediately if your circumstances change in any way as it may affect the council tax payments that you need to make.

Can I get my bill electronically?

Yes – Sign up to the NWBC portal

Last updated Monday, 4th September 2023

Was this information useful?

You said, we did