Green bin collections - garden and food
Green bin food and garden waste
How often are green bins emptied?
Your green lidded bin is for food and garden waste and is emptied fortnightly.
Time and Place
On your collection day please put your bin out at the edge of your property by 6:30am, if you live in a flat please use your communal bin and we will collect from the communal bin store.
Find out your collection day using our rubbish and recycling collection search. You can search by postcode (don't forget the space), house, building or farm name or street.
What to put in your green lidded bin:
- All raw and cooked food (including meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, bones, dairy, bread and pastries, tea bags and coffee grounds)
- Grass cuttings
- Weeds and flowers
- Twigs and small branches
- Pet bedding from herbivorous animals (wood shavings, hay and straw)
- Christmas Trees (cut in to pieces)
What you can't put in your green lidded bin:
- Dog poo and cat litter (bag it and put it in your black bin)
- Soil or turf
- Ash (bag it and put it in your black bin)
- Bricks and rubble
- Plastic bags (black bin)
- Any other plastics including plant pots and garden furniture
Why should I put my food waste in my green bin?
There are many reasons why recycling your food waste is extremely worthwhile:
- If everyone in Warwickshire placed their food waste in their green bins rather than their black/grey bins we could save around £2 million every year
- Recycled food waste can be used on farmer's fields as a soil improver, reducing the need for fertilisers
- By recycling food waste it reduces the amount of greenhouse gases that are thought to be a major contributor to climate change
Food waste caddy and compostable liners
To make recycling your food waste even easier you can use a food waste caddy. If you need a food waste caddy you can collect one for free from the One Stop Shop at the Council House in Atherstone or from the Leisure Centres at Atherstone, Coleshill and Polesworth. We are unable to deliver food waste caddies.
You can line the caddy with either newspaper or a compostable liner or you can simply wash the caddy once you have emptied the contents into your green wheeled bin. We no longer provide compostable liners, these can be purchased from larger supermarkets or online.
Through our new partner, Biobag, you can order a pack of 150 liners for just £7.95 including postage and packing. The 6-roll / 150 bag pack is a year's supply for most households. Other pack sizes available - from 2 to 10 rolls.
These compostable caddy liners meet the EN 13432 standard and can be placed in your green wheeled bin.
To order your caddy liners, visit https://www.biobag-uk.com/warks/ or phone 01772 641348. Lines are open Monday - Friday: 10.00am - 4.00pm
To see what happens to your food waste visit the Warwickshire County Council website.
Can I have an extra green bin?
Yes, please see the Extra Garden Waste Service webpage for information.
Please report a missed bin using the link below
Missing or damaged bin or insert
You can order a replacement bin or insert or ask for a repair using the link below.
Collection of a spare bin
You can request the collection of a spare bin using the link below.
Why we sometimes have difficulty collecting bins in snow and ice.
Last updated Friday, 12th April 2019