You are here:

Street closures - special events

Carnivals and Small Events

North Warwickshire is a great place to celebrate events such as a village carnival or a street party and such public celebrations form a traditional part of community life. These festivals are a wonderful opportunity for us to get to know our neighbours and meet members of the local community.

The Borough Council is keen to promote community activities where they can be accommodated conveniently and safely.

Events which may require a road closure fall into two categories:

  • Small events such as street parties
  • Large public events such as carnivals and fetes

We have adopted the guide below which shows the main differences between a small event and larger public events.

Street parties and fetes
Small Events Larger Public Events, Carnivals and Fetes
For residents/neighbours only Anyone can attend
Advertised only to residents Advertised widely (such as newspapers)
No licences normally necessary of music in incidental and no selling is involved. Licence usually needed
No formal risk assessment needed unless a road closure is involved. Risk assessment required
Self organised Professional/skilled organisers
Insurance may be needed Public Liability Insurance needed

The number one tip for holding an event is to plan early, think about what you want to achieve and in case of road closures get in touch with the Streetscape team at the Borough Council at least 8 weeks in advance by calling 01827 715341.

More helpful tips, advice and support for organising a successful event can be found on the Streets Alive website and The Big Lunch website Do check them out, they're great.

Small Event Road Closures

If you would a road closure for a small event, you can use our online form to let us know about your plans.    Organising small, private events is very simple and generally does not include activities that need a licence, such as selling alcohol or providing certain types of entertainment. See Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

Large Event Road Closures

Larger public events attracting more people will require a different process to smaller events. You will need to complete an Application for Temporary Road Closure. If you are selling alcohol or providing certain types of entertainment you will need to ensure you are properly licensed.  Please contact NWBC Licensing Division for further information and advice.

Last updated Wednesday, 19th April 2023

Was this information useful?

You said, we did