You are here:

Street closures - special events

Frequently Asked Questions - Small Events

Q. Do we need insurance cover?

A. Most local authorities do not ask for public liability insurance cover for a small residential street party. But where you or your council think insurance would be a good idea you might find it helpful to go on Streets Alive ( and The Big Lunch website ( for further advice.

Quotes for insurance start from as little as £50. The costs can always be split between residents, or you could hold a raffle or ask for donations to cover the costs.

Q. Do I need to do a risk assessment?

A. Most local authorities do not ask for a risk plan for small street parties, but you may wish to think about how you can minimise things going wrong and have a back up plan, for example - what would you do if there was bad weather? Can you use plastic plates and cups rather than glass? Have you made sure an adult is in charge of the barbeque etc.

Q. We're serving alcoholic drinks - do we need an alcohol licence?

A. No, licences are only required if alcohol is sold. At a private party, sharing drinks with your neighbours does not require a licence. If you did want to sell alcohol, you will need to contact your council for a Temporary Events Notice form.

Q. We're playing music - do we need an entertainment licence?

A. No - if your street party is a private party for residents and the music is not advertised in advance to attract people, and you're not making money then there is no need for a licence for your music, whether it's live or recorded. Q. Do we need a permit to serve food?

A. As a private party you do not need a licence to serve food unless you intend to sell hot food and drink after 11pm.

Q. We're having a tombola/raffle - do we need permission?

A. Probably not. If the tickets are sold on the day and the prizes are not worth more than £500 in total it will be exempt form the gambling regulations. All proceeds much go to good cause such as a charity or covering the cost of the event. If you sell tickets in advance of the event you will need a lottery registration so please contact your council.

Q. Do we need to clean up afterwards?

A. Yes, you will need to clean up after your street party. It's your street, your party, so keep your local area clean and tidy. Let people know in advance what time the party will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling.

Q. Do we need signs and barriers?

A. Yes, the organisers must ensure that signs are in position to indicate to drivers that the road is closed. These will need to be provided by the organiser and will not be provided by the Council.

Q. Who do I need to tell about the party?

A. Organisations and Communities wishing to take advantage of this opportunity to organise an event should that no road works are affected by the event by contacting We would also advice you to inform Warwickshire Police of the details of your plans by contacting

Last updated Thursday, 9th March 2017

Was this information useful?

You said, we did