You are here:

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Benefit overpayments

How can I pay back an overpayment?

You can repay your overpayment in any of the following ways:

  • deductions from ongoing benefit
  • at any Post Office using the barcode on the overpayment invoice
  • by standing order
  • by debit or credit card, over the phone
  • by cheque

Please note that we do not accept cash payments.

The Council may use any legal means to secure recovery, including civil proceedings for debts.

Please contact us for further information or to make a payment.

If you are having difficulty with your Housing Benefit Overpayment

If you are having a problem with your Housing Benefit Overpayment and are unable to pay this in full contact us straight away to discuss your options.

We understand that some people genuinely struggle to pay their Housing Benefit Overpayment and we will do all we can to help. Please contact us if you are having difficulty paying, once we know that there is a problem there are a number of ways that we might be able to help:

  • Set up a payment arrangement: If you are unable to pay the whole balance by the Invoice due date we will ask you about your circumstances and will consider spreading the balance over manageable instalments.
  • Change the amount we take from your Housing Benefit to recover the overpayment: If the amount we are deducting is causing you financial hardship or causing you to get behind with your rent we will consider lowering the amount we deduct.
  • Signpost you to free independent financial advice: If this is not the only money you owe we would suggest seeking independent financial advice, we can direct you to the most appropriate organisation and place a hold on your account to stop recovery action while they are helping you manage your debt.

Please call us direct on 01827 715341 Mon - Fri 08:30am - 17:15pm

Or email us on

Whilst the Council cannot offer financial advice directly, we do work in partnership with organisations offering free independent financial advice and support

Last updated Tuesday, 16th August 2016

Was this information useful?

You said, we did