You are here:

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Benefits - useful links

Benefits information and advice

entitledto is a website that lets you know if you are missing out on some of the £10 billion per year of unclaimed benefits and tax credits in the UK. is a government website with a whole host of useful information about benefits and lots of other subjects.

Adviceguide is the Citizens Advice website. It gives lots of information about benefits, as well as other subjects like debt, employment, consumer affairs and civil rights. Search for full or part-time jobs in Great Britain and abroad.

The Pension Service is part of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). It deals with pensions, benefits and retirement information.

HM Revenue and Customs pay and administer Child Benefit, Child Trust Funds and Tax Credits (Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit), as well as collecting taxes such as Income Tax and Inheritance Tax.

Financial advice and support

New Way Credit Union is a community based 'not for profit' savings and loans co-operative helping members help themselves by developing good savings habits and by offering low cost affordable loans to members based upon their ability to pay and upon their savings history with the Credit Union.

National Debtline is the helpline that provides free, confidential and independent advice on how to deal with debt problems. They offer advice on their website as well as through their telephone helpline - 0808 808 4000.

Severn Trent Trust Fund is a registered charity helping people out of poverty and debt. People unable to meet the cost of their water charges who live in the Severn Trent area can apply for help.

Debt Advice Foundation is a registered national debt advice charity offering free impartial support and advice to anyone worried about debt.

Housing Associations

Waterloo Housing Association is a major provider of affordable homes in the Midlands. Their key activities are managing affordable homes and working with local partners to develop new or improved homes for people in housing need.

Midland Heart Housing Association is one of the top ten housing and regeneration groups in the country and the largest based in the Midlands. Every year they invest more than £100 million in improving homes, building new ones and making neighbourhoods more desirable and sought after places to live.

Asra Housing Group (Leicester Housing Association) is a 'not for profit' organisation with over 30 years experience in providing affordable housing and building sustainable communities.

Bromford is a leading provider of affordable and supported housing throughout most of central England.

Support for older people

Age UK is the UK's largest charity working with and for older people.

Borough Care is North Warwickshire's 24-hour community alarm service. It is available to anyone living in the borough for a small charge (free for anyone over 62 or on low incomes).

Support for families

Free School Meals are available for some families on a low income. They are claimed through Warwickshire County Council. Please refer to their website for eligibility criteria.

The Child Support Agency are tackling child poverty, by making sure parents who live apart from their children contribute financially to their upkeep by paying child maintenance.

Home-Start is a charity that offers support, friendship and practical help to parents with young children in local communities throughout the UK. It has a proven, lasting, positive impact on the development of children and the health and welfare of the family.

Support for disabled people

Apply for a Disabled Persons Railcard for 1/3 off rail travel for you and one companion. Only £20 for a one-year Railcard or £54 for a three-year Railcard.

Support for homeless people

Shelter is the housing and homelessness charity, founded in 1966. They give advice, information and advocacy to people in housing need.

Nuneaton and Bedworth Doorway is a small independent charity working in the north of Warwickshire, enabling young homeless people aged 16-25 to secure and maintain appropriate accommodation.

Other information, advice and support

Community Legal Advice offers free, confidential and independent legal advice for residents of England and Wales, via their website.

For info and help visit: Warwickshire Police - how to report domestic abuse

Act on Energy is an organisation to help you save money and the environment. They encourage energy conservation by providing free and impartial advice to householders and small businesses in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Coventry and the surrounding areas.

Disability Living Allowance ending is a new website set up to help with enquiries regarding DLA claims that are due to swap to Disability Living Allowance.

The Welfare Reform and Work Act (2016) introduces some changes to the benefit cap. These changes, which will take effect in autumn 2016, include changes to the benefit cap levels to £23,000 a year for couples with or without children and lone parents and £15,410 for single people without children in Greater London, and £20,000 and £13,400 respectively for those groups elsewhere in Great Britain. They also include additional exemptions for recipients of Guardian’s Allowance, Carer’s Allowance and Universal Credit claimants who receive payments towards carer’s costs.

Money Helper help and support around the benefit changes and the introduction of Universal Credits.

Disclaimer: This page contains links to third party websites. While we try our best to check their accuracy, we cannot be held responsible for their content. The provision of a link above does not constitute an endorsement of any third party website by North Warwickshire Borough Council.

Last updated Thursday, 7th September 2023

Was this information useful?

You said, we did