Getting ready for Universal Credit
View the video to help you prepare before you claim Universal Credit.
You must have a bank, building society, post office account or credit union account before you can apply for Universal Credit. If you don’t have an account, the Money Advice Service website has advice about choosing a bank account.
Because Universal Credit is paid monthly, and your rent – for example – may be paid weekly or fortnightly, you may need to change the way you budget your money. The links below provide more advice and guidance on how to plan out your budget.
- How to budget for monthly payments
- How to use your bank account to make budgeting easier
- Budget Planner
- Universal Credit and Budgeting
- Managing your money video
Help and advice
The following links can help you prepare for the change:
- DWP - Getting Ready for Universal Credit Personal Planner
- Money Advice Service – Get ready for Universal Credit
Personal Budgeting Support
The Council can help you if you need help to:
- Set up a bank account
- Manage your money and help you to budget
- Budget and manage your money on a monthly basis
Contact the Benefits Team, see below, to arrange an appointment or to find out about the help available.
Last updated Thursday, 18th October 2018
You said, we did