You are here:

Universal Credit

Applying for Universal Credit

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) are responsible for administering Universal Credit, not North Warwickshire Borough Council. You need to complete the online form, available via the pink 'Apply for Universal Credit' button below, to claim Universal Credit. If you don't have access to a computer, you can use one in our One Stop Shop or at your nearest hub.

You will manage your account online and you will need to report any changes in circumstances through your account.

You must claim Universal Credit as soon as you think you may have an entitlement. Your claim will only be backdated in exceptional circumstances and will only go back one month.

Universal Credit (UC) replaces six existing benefits with a single monthly payment for people who are out of work or on a low income and making a new claim.

For further information about eligibility, contact the DWP’s Universal Credit Service Centre.

Before you start, make sure you have the following information ready:

  • Email address, landline and/or mobile phone number
  • National Insurance number (and your partner's)
  • Postcode
  • Landlord's name and address
  • Details of the bank, building society, post office or credit union account you want Universal Credit paid into (account number and sort code)

Apply for Universal Credit

If you live in a Council or Housing Association property, you will need to provide your eligible rent - your  tenancy agreement (if you have one), a breakdown of your rent you pay.  Contact us if you require copies of these documents.


You'll need to provide these details:

  • Savings or other capital
  • Income that's not from work (e.g.from an insurance plan)
  • Other benefits you're getting
  • If working, your expected wages
  • Children, relatives and friends who live with you - including their name, date of birth, age and income

Last updated Monday, 21st January 2019

Was this information useful?

You said, we did