You are here:

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Applying for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Housing Benefit changes due to Covid 19

Local Housing Allowance

In response to COVID -19 the Government has announced help for people renting in the form of increases to the Local Housing Allowance- it has been increased so that it covers up to 30% of the market rent in your area.

Where your claim is assessed using a Local Housing Allowance figure, we will increase existing Housing Benefit as soon as possible. We are currently working hard to implement this change so please bear with us during these unprecedented times. New award letters will be sent once reassessed.

Increase to the Additional Earnings Disregard – 6th April raising to £37.10

We are currently working to identify all Housing Benefit customers who (since 6th April 2020) are entitled to the Additional Earning Disregard and will be recalculating their award in due course with new award letters being sent once reassessed. This is for 1 year and will return to the previous level of £17.10 from 5th April 2021.

Working Tax Credit Changes and effects to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

The Government recently announced that the basic rate of Working Tax Credit would be increased from 6th April 2020 to 4th April 2021. 

Under these circumstances alone, Tax Credits will advise the Benefits team at the Council of all persons affected by this increase to Working Tax Credits and your claim will be adjusted.

So, if you receive an increase to the Basic rate of Working Tax credits, effective from this date, you do not need to inform the Benefits Team.  However, all other changes to Tax Credits must be notified as soon as possible.

If you are unsure about what needs to be advised of, or have any questions please contact the benefits team at or by phone 01827 715 341. 

Please note due to COVID-19 our Staffing levels have been reduced and therefore waiting times to speak to an officer or for a response to emails may be longer, we are working hard to meet demand, please consider these factors to you save you from contacting the Benefit’s team unnecessarily. Thank you

What are Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support?

  • Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support are means tested and the amount you may receive will depend on your personal circumstances
  • Housing Benefit can help you pay your for the property you live in. Housing Benefit cannot be used to pay a mortgage
  • Council Tax Support can help you pay towards Council Tax on your home

How can I find out if I might be entitled to any help without filling out the claim form:

You can use a benefit calculator to find out which benefits you might be entitled to without completing the online claim form. For more information please visit:

Guidance notes

The online Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim form has been specially designed to be easy to fill in.

  • The form will help and guide you as you work through it, to ensure you only fill in the parts that are relevant to your claim; this makes it much easier to fill in than a paper form: the form checks for errors and highlights anything you have missed
  • The form is secure and all your information is encrypted
  • When inputting amounts on the claim form, please use the format of 00.00, you do not need to use £ or commas

To start your claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support please see 1st paragraph above.

If you need help to fill in this form

If you have any questions or need help to fill in your application form, you can phone us on 01827 719368, or visit NWBC offices or one of our Community Hubs. Please follow the link for the hub opening times Because it takes up to 45 minutes to complete an application for benefits, 4:30pm is the latest time you can request help at NWBC offices. So, to ensure you get all the help you need, come as early as possible. Our One Stop Shop opening hours are: Mon - Fri  09:00 - 17:00.

Make a claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Make a claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support here.

Evidence of your Identification

When you make a new application for Housing Benefit or Local Council Tax Support, you will need to provide proof of your identity. Please refer to the link below to make sure that you provide the right evidence to support your claim.

Last updated Friday, 29th January 2021

Was this information useful?

You said, we did