You are here:

Food registration

Food premises registration

If you are starting a new food business or taking over an existing one you must, by law, register your premises with us at least 28 days before you start operating. This is a legal requirement. Registration is free.

Registration applies to most types of food business, including catering businesses run from home and mobile or temporary premises, such as market stalls and vans.

Childminders only need to register with Warwickshire County Council and Ofsted.

What happens after registration?

Once you have registered with us, if there are any changes to the activities stated in the registration form, you should notify us within 28 days of the changes occurring.

Premises approval, planning permission

You may require planning permission for business use or extensions or alterations to your premises. This should be obtained before starting a food business.

Food business approval

If you operate a food business which processes products of animal origin (meat or dairy products), you may need to be approved by your local authority. Find out more about food business approval.

Food business safeguards

In order to ensure that the food hygiene rating scheme is fair to businesses, safeguarding procedures have been implemented. Find out more about how to appeal, about your 'right to reply' and how to request a re-visit when improvements have been made in order to be re-assessed for a ‘new’ rating. 



Last updated Monday, 3rd July 2023

Was this information useful?

You said, we did