Hair, beauty and skin licensing
Tattooing, piercing, acupuncture and electrolysis registration
See our current fees.
- Tattooing licence
You must provide the specific information required by the form including details of your premises and details of any previous registrations. Once the application has been processed and the premises inspected and approved, a certificate of registration will be posted to you. This is not an annual registration.
- A visit will be made to inspect the premises before the registration is granted
- The officer will have to be satisfied that the person carrying out the skin piercing is competent to do so and that adequate hygiene precautions are in place
- There are byelaws concerning the premises that must be adhered to
- New premises are subject to a health and safety inspection
- The premises are subject to a health and safety inspection on a regular basis at a frequency dependent upon their risk status
- Once registered, you will be issued with a certificate of registration
How long will it take to process the application?
On receipt of your application contact will be made with you within three working days to arrange an inspection of the premises. If this is satisfactory you will normally receive a certificate of registration within 14 days of the inspection. If you have not heard from the Council after this time please contact us using the contact details provided above. If you have not heard from the Council you cannot start to operate. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted.
If I am refused registration how do I appeal?
Please contact us on the contact details below.
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.
If you have a complaint about the hygiene standards at a premises please contact Environmental Health using the details below.
Is there a register?
There is no register of those registered to carry out skin piercing.
Last updated Wednesday, 8th March 2017