Houses in multiple occupation - Licensing
Houses in multiple occupation HMO licence
If you rent out a property for house in multiple occupancy (HMO), you may require a licence from us.
- Applications must be made to North Warwickshire Borough Council
- A fee will be charged - see below
- You must be a 'fit and proper person' to hold the licence - this is evaluated as part of the application process using a series of questions, some of which are below:
- Committed any offence involving fraud or other dishonesty (including benefit fraud), violence, drugs, or any offence listed in Schedule 3 to the Sexual Offences Act 2003 (subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974)?
- Practised unlawful discrimination on grounds of sex, colour, race, ethnic or national origins or disability in, or in connection with, any business?
- Contravened any legislation relating to housing, public health, environmental health or landlord and tenant law?
- Been refused a licence under Part 2 or 3 of the Housing Act 2004?
|Housing Multiple Occupation Registration||£|
|New Application (Up to 5 Lets) (5-yearly charge)||702.00|
|Transfer of Licence (Up to 5 Lets)||219.00|
|Variation of Licence (Up to 5 Lets)||219.00|
|New Application (6-10 Lets) (5-yearly charge)||815.00|
|Transfer of Licence (6-10 Lets)||236.00|
|Variation of Licence (6-10 Lets)||236.00|
|New Application (11+ Lets) (5-yearly charge)||912.00|
|Transfer of Licence (11+ Lets)||251.00|
|Variation of Licence (11+ Lets)||251.00|
Application Evaluation Process
Licences will be granted if:
Will Tacit Consent Apply?
Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period
Target processing time: 30 working days
What do I need to provide?
You'll need to provide copies of the following:
What can I do if my application is NOT granted?
Please contact Environmental Health using the contact details below.
You may appeal to a residential property tribunal regarding conditions attached to a licence or any decision to vary or revoke a licence - links to gov.uk.
Any appeal must be made within 28 days of the decision being made.
If a licence is granted and you wish to appeal against it being granted you may do so to a residential property tribunal within 28 days of the decision being made - links to gov.uk.
Fines and penalties
You could get an unlimited fine for renting out an unlicensed House in Multiple Occupation.
Read the guide for landlords and managers who manage HMOs for more information - links to gov.uk .
We partner with Nuneaton and Bedworth Council to deliver our joint Private Sector Housing Service.
- the house is or can be made suitable for multiple occupation
- the applicant is a fit and proper person and the most appropriate person to hold the licence
- the proposed manager has control of the house, and is a fit and proper person to be the manager
- the management arrangements are satisfactory
- Fire safety risk assessment
- Fit and proper person assessment
- Property plan
- Gas safe certificate
- Electrical certificate
- Apply for a house in multiple occupancy licence
- Tell us about a change to your existing house in multiple occupancy licence
- Apply to renew a licence for a house in multiple occupancy
Last updated Wednesday, 25th May 2022
You said, we did