You are here:

Houses in multiple occupation - Licensing

Houses in multiple occupation HMO licence

Licence summary

If you rent out a property for house in multiple occupancy (HMO), you may require a licence from us.

Eligibility Criteria

  • Applications must be made to North Warwickshire Borough Council
  • A fee will be charged - see below
  • You must be a 'fit and proper person' to hold the licence - this is evaluated as part of the application process using a series of questions, some of which are below:
    • Committed any offence involving fraud or other dishonesty (including benefit fraud), violence, drugs, or any offence listed in Schedule 3 to the Sexual Offences Act 2003 (subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974)?
    • Practised unlawful discrimination on grounds of sex, colour, race, ethnic or national origins or disability in, or in connection with, any business?
    • Contravened any legislation relating to housing, public health, environmental health or landlord and tenant law?
    • Been refused a licence under Part 2 or 3 of the Housing Act 2004?
Housing Multiple Occupation Registration £
New Application (Up to 5 Lets) (5-yearly charge) 702.00
Transfer of Licence (Up to 5 Lets) 219.00
Variation of Licence (Up to 5 Lets) 219.00
New Application (6-10 Lets) (5-yearly charge) 815.00
Transfer of Licence (6-10 Lets) 236.00
Variation of Licence (6-10 Lets) 236.00
New Application (11+ Lets) (5-yearly charge) 912.00
Transfer of Licence (11+ Lets) 251.00
Variation of Licence (11+ Lets) 251.00

Application Evaluation Process

Licences will be granted if:

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period

Target processing time: 30 working days

What do I need to provide?

You'll need to provide copies of the following:

Apply online

What can I do if my application is NOT granted?

Please contact Environmental Health using the contact details below.

You may appeal to a residential property tribunal regarding conditions attached to a licence or any decision to vary or revoke a licence - links to

Any appeal must be made within 28 days of the decision being made.

Consumer Complaint

If a licence is granted and you wish to appeal against it being granted you may do so to a residential property tribunal within 28 days of the decision being made - links to

Fines and penalties

You could get an unlimited fine for renting out an unlicensed House in Multiple Occupation.

More information

Read the guide for landlords and managers who manage HMOs for more information - links to .

We partner with Nuneaton and Bedworth Council to deliver our joint Private Sector Housing Service.

Last updated Wednesday, 25th May 2022

Was this information useful?

You said, we did