Taxi and private hire licensing
Hackney carriage and private hire driver licence
Coronavirus (COVID - 19) - Guidance for Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Operators
Application forms for driver licences should be obtained from Central Services (Licensing) by emailing email@example.com or calling us on 01827 715341.
Your right to work in the UK will be checked as part of your licensing application, this could include the licensing authority checking your immigration status with the Home Office. You must therefore provide a document or document combination that is stipulated as being suitable for this check. The list of documents is set out here. You must bring the original document(s), such as a passport or biometric residence permit as indicated in our published guidance, so that the check can take place. The document(s) will be copied and the copy retained by the licensing authority. The original document will be returned to you.
If there are restrictions on the length of time you may work in the UK, your licence will not be issued for any longer than this period. In such circumstances, the check will be repeated each time you apply to renew or extend your licence. If, during the period, you are disqualified from holding a licence because you have not complied with the UK’s immigration laws, your licence will lapse and you must return it to the licensing authority, failure to do so is a criminal offence.
Applicants wishing to submit completed applications should contact Central Services (Licensing) to book an appointment.
A licence is required before any person can drive a hackney carriage (taxi) or private hire vehicle. Licences are issued subject to proof of eligibility (age, driving licence, criminal records check, medical assessment, etc.).
You will need to complete the Blue Lamp Trust taxi driver assessment, which can be booked by contacting the Blue Lamp Trust online please use the link https://bluelamptrust.org.uk/
The council issues a dual licence to drive hackney carriages and private hire vehicles and all of the forms and information you require are available at the foot of this page to down load EXCEPT the Disclosure and Barring Service application. Unfortunately, this is not available in electronic format and must be collected from the Council offices.
How to apply
- The licence is valid for 3 year
- An application form must be submitted in person with the fee
- You must be subject to a check with the Disclosure and Barring Service for a disclosure report of convictions
- You will be required to undergo a medical examination with a Doctor of your choice
- New applicants must undertake and pass a DVSA taxi drivers test
- From 1st October 2016 all drivers must undertake training in Child Sexual Exploitation and Safeguarding. Please book your place on a course by visiting Warwick DC website
See our Fees and Charges.
Applications are only processed if the correct fee and documents have been submitted at the same time
To process your application, we need a number of documents as supporting evidence of your identity.
- you must submit your current driving licence, plus;
- two other forms of ID, one of which must show your current residential address (Examples - a passport, utility bill, or bank statement)
Full details of acceptable identification documents are available on the DBS website.
Last updated Wednesday, 20th May 2020