You are here:

Taxi and private hire licensing

Private hire vehicle licence

Private hire vehicles (mini cabs) have to be licensed. They cannot be taken from ranks or hailed from the street, and journeys must be pre-booked. Vehicles must be tested and inspected before a licence can be issued to ensure that they are mechanically fit, safe and comfortable.

How to apply

The following evidence must be supplied at the time of your application;

  • vehicle registration document
  • MOT test certificate
  • certificate of vehicle insurance



  • Applications are only processed if the correct fee and documentation has been submitted
  • See our list of conditions.

Last updated Thursday, 9th June 2016

Was this information useful?

You said, we did