You are here:

Alcohol and entertainment

Licensing Act 2003

Review the current applications for new and variation of premises licences and club premises certificates

Representations to an application can be made in opposition to, or in support of, an application and can be made by any individual, body or business that has grounds to do so. Representations must be made in writing to the Licensing team.

It is an offence knowingly or recklessly to make a false statement in connection with an application and the maximum fine for which a person is liable on summary conviction for the offence is level 5 on the standard scale.

The council is responsible for the implementation of the Licensing Act 2003 in its area and this covers the licensing of:

  • retail sales of alcohol (and supply of alcohol in clubs)
  • regulated entertainment
  • provision of late night refreshment

The Licensing Act creates four different types of authorisations that cover all licensable activities. To apply for (or to vary) one of these permissions or to find out further information view the relevant permission;

Premises licences or club premises certificates are required for the following;

  • Pubs and nightclubs
  • Restaurants serving alcohol
  • Off licences
  • Indoor sporting events
  • Theatres and cinemas
  • Venues providing regulated entertainment (music and dancing)
  • Hotels, guest houses and other places serving alcohol
  • Private Members' clubs and social clubs
  • Businesses offering hot food and drink between 11.00pm and 5.00am

A personal licence holder must authorise sales of alcohol, although this does not apply to the supply of alcohol by clubs to their members.

A temporary event notice (TEN) enables licensable activities to be carried out at a temporary event.

For details of the public register maintained under the Licensing Act 2003 please contact the Licensing team.

Last updated Monday, 19th October 2015

Was this information useful?

You said, we did