You are here:

Alcohol and entertainment

Personal Licence

All premises where alcohol is for sale must have a designated premises supervisor, who must hold a personal licence. The only exception is for community premises in respect of which a successful application has been made to disapply the usual mandatory conditions.

To apply you must:

  • be over 18
  • hold a relevant licensing qualification (details here on
  • not have forfeited a personal licence within five years of your application
  • not been convicted of any relevant or foreign offence listed in the Act that could, on conviction, rule out the grant of a personal licence to the applicant concerned - summary of the regulation relating to this licence

A new applicant for a licence must apply to the local authority where they live however if you already hold a personal licence issued by another authority you do not need to apply again just because you have moved. You must contact the authority who issued to licence to update your address.

A licence will last indefinitely unless it is surrendered or forfeited.

Apply for a personal licence

Complete the entire application form and submit it together with the fee (£37) and required evidence detailed in the checklist in section 4.

Please note we require the original Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate and this must be dated within 28 days. Alternatively if you use the online DBS service we can check this online instead - please add your One Time Share Code and last 6 digits of your certificate to your application form. You can then submit your application by email to Other identification (licensing qualification and proof of right to work can be copies).

If you do not use the online DBS service and are submitting your orginal DBS, applications can be submitted by post to:

Licensing Support - North Warwickshire Borough Council
The Council House
South Street

Payment of the fee can be made by cheque payable to North Warwickshire Borough Council or by calling the Contact Centre on 01827 715 341. If paying by phone please quote the code 4000-9280 and use the applicants name as the reference.

This Authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers and to this end may use the information you have provided on this form for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

Will tacit consent apply?

  • Tacit consent will not apply

It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us. 

If 'tacit consent' applies it means that an application is automatically approved if a decision is not made within the above decision period. In all other cases approval can only be obtained following the decision regardless of the time taken.

Change of address

If you have changed your address, including if you have moved out of North Warwickshire, download a Change of address form

Replacement Licence

If your licence has been lost or stolen download a Personal Licence Replacement Application form

Last updated Friday, 6th May 2022

Was this information useful?

You said, we did