You are here:

Alcohol and entertainment

Premises Licence

A premises licence will be required under the Licensing Act 2003 if it is intended to carry out licensable activities at premises (including open air events). The licensable activities are:

  • retail sales of alcohol (and supply of alcohol in clubs)
  • regulated entertainment
  • provision of late night refreshment

Apply online

Eligibility, penalties and regulation summary

Applications for premises licences may be made in respect of any place by any of the following:

  • anyone who carries on a business in the premises to which the application relates
  • a recognised club
  • a charity
  • a health service body
  • a person who is registered under the Care Standards Act 2000 in relation to an independent hospital
  • a chief police officer of a force in England and Wales
  • anyone discharging a statutory or function under Her Majesty's prerogative
  • a person from an educational institute
  • any other permitted person
  • Applicants must not be under 18 years of age

Refer to details of the regulations and penalties in A summary of the regulations and eligibility criteria for this licence


There is a fixed fee of £89 for minor variations. Fees for new applications, variations and annual fees are based on the NDR (Non Domestic Rateable) value of the premises. Please refer to our Licensing Act Fees document for details of fees.

Guidance Note

Protection of children in licensed premises

Surrender a Premises/Club Licence

Surrender a premises or club licence

Application evaluation process

The decision period to process applications is 60 days for new applications and variations, and 21 days for notifications of changes and minor variations.

Will tacit consent apply?

Tacit consent applies to these applications. If 'tacit consent' applies it means that an application is automatically approved if a decision is not made within the above decision period. In all other cases approval can only be obtained following the decision regardless of the time taken. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Public register

Some applications will be recorded in a Public Register.

Last updated Thursday, 28th November 2019

Was this information useful?

You said, we did