Discretionary Business Rate Relief Scheme
1. Qualifying Criteria
- The property is occupied
- The Rateable Value is below £100,000 as at 1st April 2017
- The net Business rates payable in 2017/18 has increased by more than £100
- The property is not in receipt of mandatory rate relief
2. Additional Information
- Relief will be granted for the financial years 2017/18 to 2020/21 whilst qualifying criteria is satisfied
- If property becomes empty relief will stop
- If your 2010 or 2017 rateable value changes the amount of relief awarded may be recalculated to reflect this change
- Applications must be received by 19 March 2018. Failure to Submit this completed form will result in cancellation of the relief awarded
3. Compliance with State Aid rules
Awards such as other Business Rates Relief are required to comply with the EU law on State Aid. If your business has received any other De Minimis State Aid, you must confirm that the award of any other State Aid does not exceed the €200,000 a business can receive under the De Minimis Regulations EC 1407/2013. The €200,000 limit is over a three year period relating to the current and previous two financial years.
In terms of declaring previous De Minimis aid, we are only interested in public support which is De Minimis Aid (State Aid received under other exemptions or public support which is not State Aid does not need to be declared).
This scheme is due to run for four years. The Council does not require separate applications to be made each year, however it is the responsibility of business owners to advise the Council immediately should the level of State Aid received exceed the maximum allowed under the De Minimis Regulations.
The full guidelines for the scheme can be found here
Last updated Tuesday, 6th March 2018