You are here:

Health and safety advice

Health and safety advice for businesses

The enforcing authority for your workplace may be your local council or the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

Generally the council enforces health and safety at most non-industrial workplaces such as catering, wholesale/retail premises, consumer services, leisure/cultural sites, offices, religious premises, cosmetic treatment businesses and various other types of workplaces.

If your premises are enforced by the Health and Safety Executive the contact details are;

HSE Field Operations Directorate Midlands
900 Pavilion Drive

Telephone 01604 738 300

Useful links

  • The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) offers information and guidance on a full range of health and safety issues, including access to FREE publications which they produce. Visit the HSE website for more help and guidance
  • A subscription based online database of UK health and safety legislation, approved codes of practice and HSE guidance on legislation, workplaces and substances is available
  • To report accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences online visit theRIDDOR (reporting of injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences) website.  The Institution of Occupational Safety and Health website also provides useful information
  • The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) is the professional body for environmental health practitioners and also has a range of health and safety information
  • The British Safety Council is an independent workplace health, safety and environmental organisation that works with the worlds leading companies, developing safe systems of work
  • The National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH) is the leading UK examining body in its field. NEBOSH provides health and safety qualifications both at a professional level and for those with managerial and supervisory responsibilities
  • The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents is involved in the prevention of accidents through publicity, campaigning and lobbying, advice, information and training
  • Business link is the government's online resource for businesses. and provides useful information on starting up businesses and health and safety information
  • Warwickshire County Council Trading Standards Service Business Advice, also contains information and advice, help for new businesses, on-line advice request facility

Regulation and inspection

Local authority enforced (non-factory) businesses are inspected to ensure compliance with health and safety legislation.


Advice is available to businesses, employees, members of the public on notification requirements and accident/ill-health prevention. 

Accident notifications are received from local authority enforced (non-factory) businesses within the Borough and are recorded. Investigations to identify causes and prevent recurrence are carried out as appropriate.

Last updated Thursday, 1st November 2018

Was this information useful?

You said, we did