Register of Electors Annual Update
Register of Electors Annual Canvass 2016
Annual canvass 2016
We carry out a "canvass" every year to ensure that the electoral register is up to date.
What we're doing
From August 2016, we will send a letter, known as a "household enquiry form" (HEF), to every household in the Borough. The letter will be addressed to "The Occupier" and will contain the details of all those in the household who are registered to vote.
What you need to do
We will ask you to confirm that the details of those living at that address and registered to vote are correct. Anyone in the household can respond to the letter.
Please don't ignore the letter.
If all the information is correct:
If the details are correct, all you need to do is follow the instructions on the letter.
Choose only one of the four options:
- Go online to complete the form to confirm that there are no changes. You will need the two security numbers printed on the letter to complete the online form, or
- Text NOCHANGE followed by your security code to 80212 (if nobody is eligible to vote include a reason after your security code example - empty, business, 2nd home, none, other) or
- Phone 0800 197 9871 to confirm that there are no changes. You will need the two security numbers printed on the letter to confirm by phone, or
- Complete the paper form we sent you and return it using the pre-paid envelope. You do not have to return the form if you have used either option 1, 2 or 3 above
If any of the information is incorrect or missing?
If the details on the letter are incorrect - for example, someone has moved away or moved in - follow the instructions on the letter to let us know.
Choose only one of the two options:
- Go online to complete the form to tell us what has changed. You will need the two security numbers printed on the letter to complete the online form, or
- Complete the paper form we sent you and return it to us using the pre-paid envelope. You do not have to return the form if you completed the form online.
What happens next?
The Household Enquiry Form is not a registration form but you do need to complete it.
If you have requested new names to be included on the voters list, an Invitation to Register (ITR) form will be sent to those individuals asking for further details. They do no have to wait for the ITR form to be sent to them; instead they can go online and register at https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote. Registering to vote will enable you to vote at forthcoming elections and may also improve your credit rating.
If you tell us someone has moved away, we will send each individual a further letter so that we have confirmation that they have moved away. This is because we're required to have two pieces of evidence to remove someone from the electoral register.
We will send a reminder where we don't get a reply from a household.
If you don't reply after the reminder, we will visit your property to help us complete the canvass.
Last updated Thursday, 6th October 2016