Food Premises Registration

If you are starting a new food business or taking over an existing one you must, by law, register your premises with us at least 28 days before you start operating. This is a legal requirement. Registration is free. 

Registration applies to most types of food business, including catering businesses run from home and mobile or temporary premises, such as market stalls and vans.  Mobile vans need to register with the local authority where the van is kept overnight. 

You may require planning permission for business use or extensions or alterations to your premises. This should be obtained before starting a food business. 

Childminders only need to register with Warwickshire County Council and Ofsted. 

Approval of certain Food Businesses 

If you operate a food business which processes products of animal origin (meat or dairy products), you may need to be approved by your Local Authority or by the Food Standards Agency. To find out who you need to register with and to find out more about food business approval.

Register for Approval with your Local Authority 

Food business safeguards 

 In order to ensure that the food hygiene rating scheme is fair to businesses, safeguarding procedures have been implemented. Find out more about how to appeal, about your 'right to reply' and how to request a re-visit when improvements have been made in order to be re-assessed for a ‘new’ rating. 

Available Downloads for Food

Woman and man in cafe holding baked goods