Green Bin Collection FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions

Why have you introduced a charge to empty green bins?

Pressures on budgets are extremely high and the Council has had to make difficult decisions regarding spending on discretionary services (services which the Council has no legal duty to provide). Collection of garden waste is one of these services. 

Recognising that green bin collections are valued by many residents the decision was made to provide an opt-in chargeable service rather than withdraw the service altogether.

What do I pay my Council Tax for?

Your council tax is split between North Warwickshire Borough Council, Warwickshire County Council, Police services and your town or parish council. In 2020-21 North Warwickshire BC received less than 11% of your total Council Tax. Of this a small amount is for waste services. Overall waste collection amounts to less than 1% of your total Council Tax bill.

Can I still put food waste in my green bin?

Yes. The Council is not making a charge to collect food waste but, if you choose to, it can still be put in the green bin as the method that the material is composted by Warwickshire County Council has not changed.

Can I have more than one green bin?

Yes. There is currently no limit.

I hardly use my green bin, can I pay for part of the year instead?

No. To make the administration of the service as cost effective and efficient as possible there are no discounts for part year sign up. No refunds will be given to residents that want to stop using the service after they have signed up.

What if I move house?

If you move house within the Borough please contact us. We will transfer your service to your new address and send you a new sticker at no extra charge.

If you move house outside the Borough you will need to leave all the bins at your old address. It will not be possible to give a refund for any remaining term.

I don’t want to sign up – what do I do with my garden and food waste?

You can take your garden waste to any Household Waste and Recycling Centre (tip) in Warwickshire. The closest sites are Lower House Farm, Dordon and Judkins, Nuneaton. See Recycling Centres in Warwickshire - links to Warwickshire County Council

You could also compost your garden and food waste at home. There are many different types of compost bins available which are subsidised by Warwickshire County Council. You could also make your own for very little or no cost. Home composting is the most environmentally friendly waste to deal with garden waste and Warwickshire County Council run free to attend workshops about how to get started. See Home Composting - links to Warwickshire County Council.

You could also switch to a mulch mower which recycles the cuttings back to your lawn.

I don’t want to sign up – what do I do with my green bin?

If you are certain you will not sign up for the service, you can request the collection of a spare bin. Please note once your green bin is removed, if you later change your mind and wish to join the scheme, you will need to pay for the delivery of a new bin in addition to the annual subscription fee.

Can I put garden waste in my black bin instead?

Garden waste must not be placed in black bins. Doing this increases the costs of treating your black bin waste which may in turn lead to increases in Council Tax. Your black bin waste in sent to an Energy from Waste facility where it is burnt to generate electricity. Garden waste makes this process more difficult and may mean the waste needs to be diverted to another disposal route such as landfill, at additional cost. 

Lost Permit

If your permit is lost or you get a replacement green bin, please contact our Customer Services using their details displayed on this page.

Contact centre

Customer Services

Opening hours - Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:00

Telephone: 01827715341