Green bin collections
Garden and food recycling
The introduction of the green bin charge has been postponed until April 2021. Sign up will be open mid February 2021.
What you can put in your green lidded bin:
- All raw and cooked food (including meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, bones, dairy, bread and pastries, tea bags and coffee grounds)
- Grass cuttings
- Weeds and flowers
- Twigs and small branches
- Pet bedding from herbivorous animals (wood shavings, hay and straw)
- Christmas Trees (cut in to pieces)
What you can't put in your green lidded bin:
- Dog poo and cat litter (bag it and put it in your black bin)
- Soil or turf
- Ash (bag it and put it in your black bin)
- Bricks and rubble
- Plastic bags (black bin)
- Any other plastics including plant pots and garden furniture
How often are green bins emptied?
Your green lidded bin is for food and garden waste and is emptied fortnightly with the exception of Christmas/New Year and the annual winter service break in January when garden waste tonnage is at it's lowest.
Time and Place
On your collection day please put your bin out at the edge of your property with handles facing the road by 6:30am.
Find out your collection day using our rubbish and recycling collection search. You can search by postcode (don't forget the space), house, building or farm name or street.
Why should I put my food waste in my green bin?
There are many reasons why recycling your food waste is extremely worthwhile:
- If everyone in Warwickshire placed their food waste in their green bins rather than their black/grey bins we could save around £2 million every year
- Recycled food waste can be used on farmer's fields as a soil improver, reducing the need for fertilisers
- By recycling food waste it reduces the amount of greenhouse gases that are thought to be a major contributor to climate change
Food waste caddy and compostable liners
To make recycling your food waste even easier you can use a food waste caddy. If you need a food waste caddy you can collect one for free from the One Stop Shop at the Council House in Atherstone or from the Leisure Centres at Atherstone, Coleshill and Polesworth. We are unable to deliver food waste caddies.
You can line the caddy with either newspaper or a compostable liner or you can simply wash the caddy once you have emptied the contents into your green wheeled bin. We no longer provide compostable liners, these can be purchased from larger supermarkets or online.
To see what happens to your food waste visit the Warwickshire County Council website.
Please report a missed bin using the link below
Missing or damaged bin
You can order a replacement bin or ask for a repair using the link below.
Extra Garden Waste Service
For households who wish to have more than one green bin emptied
Collection of a spare bin
You can request the collection of a spare bin using the link below.
Why we sometimes have difficulty collecting bins in snow and ice.
Last updated Tuesday, 12th January 2021