Temporary Events Notice

Temporary Event Notices may be given for carrying out licensable activities on a temporary basis - for example, a 'one off' or occasional event. The licensable activities are: 

  • retail sales of alcohol (and supply of alcohol in clubs) 
  • regulated entertainment 
  • provision of late-night refreshment 

*** Please read all the information below before applying *** 

Apply for a Temporary Event Notice

Eligibility, penalties and regulation summary 

A temporary event notice (TEN) is required if you wish to hold an event, involving less than 500 people, at which one or more licensable activities will take place that are not authorised by an existing premises licence or club premises certificates. 

A TEN is a notification to the licensing authority that an individual intends to carry on licensable activities for a period not exceeding 168 hours or 7 days. 

When a TEN is given in accordance with Part 5 of the 2003 Act, a TEN constitutes an authorisation unless withdrawn or cancelled by a counter notice issued by the licensing authority. 

Who can give a TENS:  

  • A TEN can be given by any individual aged 18 or over, but cannot be given by a business or organisation; 
  • The individual giving the notice is ‘the premises user’; 
  • An individual who holds a personal licence under the Licensing Act 2003 may give up to 50 TENs in any calendar year, up to 10 of which may be ‘late’ TENs; 
  • Individuals not holding a valid personal licence are restricted to 5 TENs in any calendar year, up to 2 of which may be late TENs; 
  • Standard and late TENs, in any combination count towards these overall total limits for TENs; 
  • A TEN which relates to an event taking place within 2 calendar years counts against the limits for that individual in respect of both calendar years; 
  • A maximum of 15 TENs can be given in relation to the same premises in any calendar year; and 
  • Any premises cannot be used for activities authorised by TENs for more than 21 days in any calendar year; 

The individual giving the TEN must fulfil certain conditions for the TEN to be a valid authorisation: 

The notice has been given on the licensing authority (or licensing authorities where the premises is situated in more than one authority area), with copies to the police and the local authority exercising environmental health functions - This must normally be done no later than 10 working days prior to the proposed event although there is provision for a limited number of late TENs to be served up to 5 working days, but no earlier than 9 working days, prior to the event. Please note the time limits do not include the day of service of the notice or the day of the event, so please make sure you apply in plenty of time. 


A fee of £21 is payable with the notice. 

Application evaluation process 

The decision period to process applications is five days. 
The TEN must be given in writing (including by electronic means) to the Licensing Authority at least ten working days before the event. 

Unless an application has been submitted electronically, the premises user must also give notice to the Chief Officer of Police no later than ten working days before the commencement of the event period. The Police can serve an objection notice on the Licensing Authority and the premises user if it is believed that the event would undermine crime prevention objectives. Such notice must be served by the Police within 48 hours of receipt of the TEN. 
The Licensing Authority must hold a hearing if an objection notice is served, and they may issue a counter notice if it is considered necessary for the promotion of the crime prevention objective. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event. 

The Police may also modify the TEN with the consent of the premises user. In such a case an objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn. 

Counter notices will be issued by the Licensing Authority if the number of permitted TENs has been exceeded. 

Will tacit consent apply? 

Tacit consent applies to this application. The maximum period for dealing with applications is normally five days. 
If 'tacit consent' applies it means that an application is automatically approved if a decision is not made within the above decision period. In all other cases approval can only be obtained following the decision regardless of the time taken. 
It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us - see below. 


The council can’t refuse a notice unless the police or Environmental Health object to it. They must do this within 3 working days of receiving it. They can only object if they think your event could: 

  • lead to crime and disorder 
  • cause a public nuisance 
  • be a threat to public safety 
  • put children at risk of harm 

If there’s an objection, your council’s licensing committee will hold a meeting (called a ‘hearing’) no later than 24 hours before the event (unless all parties agree that a hearing isn’t needed). 

At the hearing, the committee will either approve, add conditions or reject the notice. 

If the police or Environmental Health object to a late TEN, the notice won’t be valid, and you can’t hold the event. 


If you disagree with the licensing committee’s decision, you can appeal to your local magistrates’ court. You must do this within 21 days, and at least 5 working days before the date of your event. 

Public register 

Some applications will be recorded in a public register.

Displaying your notice 

You must keep your TEN in a safe place where the event is held. 

You must also display a copy of the notice where it can be easily seen. 

Fines and penalties 

You could be fined if you make any false statements in your application, or face prosecution if you breach the terms of the notice.