You are here:

Your tenancy

Frequently asked questions about your rights and responsibilities

Q. Am I allowed to take in a lodger?

A. You can take in a lodger (someone who rents a room from you and shares the communal rooms in your home,such as the kitchen and bathroom, with you) as long as it will not make your home overcrowded.

You can also sub-let part of your home (this is a more formal agreement with the person living with you, in which they would usually have a separate tenancy agreement), but you must ask for our permission before you do this. We will not unreasonably refuse permission. However you cannot let the whole of your property to someone else and live elsewhere.

Q. Can I run a business from home?

A. Yes, but you need to ask for our permission before you do this. We will not unreasonably refuse permission, but we may not allow you to run your business if we are concerned that it might cause damage to the property or a nuisance to your neighbours.

Q. Am I allowed a pet?

A. Yes, but if you live in a flat or a maisonette, you must ask for our permission first. We will consider where you live and the type of pet that you want to have when making a decision. This is to make sure that your home is suitable for the animal that you want and that it is not likely to cause a nuisance to your neighbours. If you do have a pet, you are responsible for its welfare and its behaviour. You must ensure that it does not cause a nuisance to your neighbours.

Q. Am I responsible for looking after my garden?

A. Yes, you are responsible for keeping your garden tidy. If you are having difficulty doing this, please contact us as we may be able to offer assistance.

Q. Can I buy my home?

A. Yes, both secure and flexible tenants have the ‘Right to Buy’  their home at a discounted rate. However you must have been a tenant for at least five years before you can do this. 

Q. Can my partner go on the tenancy agreement?

A. Yes, although we will undertake some basic checks on your circumstances before agreeing to this. Once your request has been agreed, your existing tenancy will come to an end and you will be issued with a new joint tenancy agreement, which both you and your partner will need to sign.

Q. Can my tenancy be passed to a family member if I die?

A. Your tenancy can be passed on to your partner, civil partner or cohabiting partner when you die. This is known as succession. If you have a joint tenancy, the other joint tenant will automatically take over the tenancy if you die. But, only one succession is allowed. If you were a tenant before April 2012, another member of your family can also succeed to the tenancy if they have lived with you for the past 12 months. If you need to ask our permission to sub-let part of your home, to run a business from home, to keep a pet in a flat or a maisonette or to change your existing tenancy for a joint tenancy with your partner, you can do this by emailing the address below. We will reply to your request within 10 working days.

Last updated Tuesday, 6th October 2015

Was this information useful?

You said, we did