You are here:

Register to vote

Register to Vote if you live or work abroad

If you are a British citizen or Crown Servants living abroad, you can register as overseas electors. This allows you to vote in parliamentary elections in the constituency you last lived in, for 15 years from when you registered. You cannot vote in local elections.

You may need your passport when you register.

If you want to vote from overseas you have two options:

  • Vote by Proxy – this is where you appoint a person to cast your vote on your behalf.
  • Vote by Post – we can send postal votes overseas. However, depending on where you live, it may take too long for your postal ballot to be sent back to us before it needs to be counted. If you think this applies to you, please apply for a proxy vote instead.

Register to Vote


Last updated Monday, 27th February 2023

Was this information useful?

You said, we did