Support, discount and exemptions

Council tax support

  • Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support are means tested and the amount you may receive will depend on your personal circumstances
  • Housing Benefit can help you pay your for the property you live in. Housing Benefit cannot be used to pay a mortgage
  • Council Tax Support can help you pay towards Council Tax on your home

Find out about and apply for Council Tax Support

People who may be exempt

The full Council Tax assumes that there are two adults living in a property as their main home. If only one adult lives in a property, the Council Tax will be reduced by 25 percent (single person discount).

Some people are not included when calculating the number of adults, please see list below. Information about property Council Tax Exemptions.

  • disabled persons discount
  • full time students
  • student nurses
  • apprentices
  • YTS trainees
  • members of religious communities (monks and nuns)
  • people who are severely mentally impaired
  • patients resident in hospital
  • people being looked after in care homes
  • members of visiting forces and certain international institutions
  • people staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • 18 and 19 year olds who are at or have just left school
  • people caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse or, partner or child under 18
  • people in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of Council Tax or a fine)
  • diplomats and their spouses

How to Apply

  • Go to the relevant discount types page - see links above and download the application form and guidance notes
  • Read the Guidance Notes that are on the form
  • Fill in the form and send it to the address at the top of the form

If you have any questions or need any help, please contact us using the details on this page.

Council Tax

Address: North Warwickshire Borough Council
South Street

Telephone: 01827715341